When displaying your American flag, you should always research what the appropriate size is for the area you want to put it. Whether it is being flown on your front porch, hanging on your wall, or flying from your car, there is an appropriate size that you need to look at. Flying the flag of the USA is a way of showing your national pride so make sure it is flown with the respect and honor it deserves.
A flag's dimensions will be in direct proportion to the height of the pole it is sitting on. The following table will assist you in figuring out what size to get when displaying the American flag on your house, lawn, wall, or desk should be. Typical flag sizes range from 3 feet by 5 feet to 5 feet by 8 feet but can get as large as 20 feet by 38 feet.
- 3x5 American flag - This flag is the usual size for a flag being flown outside the home. The height of the pole needed is 20 feet.
- 4x6 American flag - This size flag is generally used for public display and the height of the pole is 25 feet.
- 5x8 American flag - The 5x8 flag requires a 30-foot high pole and is usually flown as a public display flag rather than for home use or indoor use.
- 6x10 American flag - This size of flag needs a 40-foot pole for display and is usually flown for public events rather than for home use.
- Flags that are displayed on flagpoles can be anywhere from 20 feet to 38 feet on a pole that is 100 feet high. This is large for American flag sizes and is usually flown at official government buildings.
Sizes of the American Flag Flown Over the Capitol
In 1937 the Capitol Flag Program was started where you could pay to have an American flag flown over the Capitol in honor or memory of a person or occasion. The sizes of the American flag that can be flown can be no larger than 8 feet by 12 feet and can have a personalized dedication of 300 characters.
Flags for Boats
US flag sizes for boats are connected to the size of the boat they are being flown from. Some USA flag sizes appropriate for motorboats and sailboats include:
- Under 20 feet - an 8" x 12" flag is an appropriate size for this length of the boat and is usually displayed at the stern of the boat unless otherwise specified. It is always a good idea to find out ahead of time what the flag rules are when venturing into unfamiliar territory.
- 20 feet to 29 feet - a 10"x15" flag is a good size for a boat of this length
- 30 feet to 39 feet - Choose a 12"x18" flag for this boat
- 40 feet to 49 feet - 14"x21" flag
- 50 feet to 59 feet - 16"x24" flag
- 60 feet to 69 feet - 20"x30" flag
There are more dimensions available online for those boats that are 70 feet all the way up to 100 feet.
Dimensions of Flags for Cars and Trucks
The standard size of a flag for a moving vehicle is 11.5" by 18" with various protocols as to where on the vehicle and how high the flag should be. If you are flying another flag at the same time, then make sure to research the best way of displaying each flag so you are showing the proper respect and following protocol.
The Position of the Union Jack and the Stripes
When having a flag made for your home, you can choose the desired width and length and have the manufacturer figure out the proper dimensions for the union jack and the stripes. The placement of these elements of the flag has strict rules for dimensions, especially if the flag is being used for official purposes. Any high-quality flag made in the United States will have the proper dimensions that show Old Glory the respect it deserves.
When it comes to choosing what size flag you require, it is always a good idea to figure out a few things first. Where you are displaying the flag, outside or inside, is an important question to answer before investing in a good quality flag. A reputable flag company will be able to help you with the question of what sized flag you need so you can display this symbol of independence proudly.